Bethany Chi-Hwei Chu
DOB: 1:54 am 12/15/10
6 lbs 2 oz
19.5"
Caleb and I went to see the doc the morning of 12/14 for the usual weekly OB visit. It was the last NST (non-stress test) and then we visited with the doctor. She wanted to induce Bethany a bit early, given the diabetes which we had already spoken of a week or two before. Our goal was to set a date for the induction. During the visit, the doctor did a bit of manual massage and I went from being about 1 cm dilated to about 3 cm. We didn't know that she had also stripped the membranes, which really preps things for the body to start the whole labor process.
She encouraged us to go walking and said to us as we left the clinic, "I'll maybe see you tonight or tomorrow!" This surprised us, but as we were walking to the parking garage we thought that given her experience, she may be onto something.
I had been finishing up transcribing for Bro Sun's WCCC 2010 messages and the last one that needed to be done was on the topic, "Finishing the Race." If my doctor was correct about going into labor that evening, I needed to finish things up. Talk about "finishing the race"!! I finished and emailed out the last transcript. Whew! :)
We headed out to the Galleria for a walk around the mall sometime around 4-5 pm. It didn't feel too much like Braxton-Hicks false contractions by this time. I was having 2-3 stronger contractions and by the time we stopped by McDonalds for a small bite to eat, the contractions were more regular. I know I'm not supposed to have any food in my stomach prior to delivery, but I figured a small McFish and Sprite wasn't going to hurt if I needed the energy for many hours to come! :P
Now that the contractions were regular and things were progressing normally, we figured it was time to head home. I showered, since the thought of not showering for a few days if I go into the hospital didn't seem too appealing. Thinking ahead, we thought of who could take care of Polo while we were gone. So we called our friend who lives close by to come over and see the dog and get acquainted.
Around 9 pm, our friend and 2 others come by - a bit wide-eyed as they'd never encountered someone going into labor before. While chatting and getting to know Polo, I had to make an announcement: my water broke. It was time to get to the hospital!
We got to the hospital a little after 11pm. Don't forget to signal Caleb - we don't want a traffic violation ticket while getting to the hospital! :P Fortunately it takes only 5-7 minutes to get there.
Our L&D room was room 5. Fetal heart monitor was strapped on and all the papers were signed. We were just getting settled in for the many hours ahead and the contractions were definitely no piece of cake. My birth plan was not to take any meds, but to go as naturally as possible. My OB doctor had not arrived yet, but I was told several times that this wasn't about being heroic and if I wanted anything, all I had to do was ask.
Sometime close to midnight, Bethany's heart rate went below 100 and the nurses had me turn a few times. Her heart rate fortunately went back up and all was well. Because of the fluctuation, the doctor didn't think it was a good idea for me to have any pain meds via IV. I was okay with that explanation.
A little after 1 am, the contractions all of a sudden increased in intensity by a whole lot. I generally can bear the pain, but this was unbearable. If I had only labored for about 2 hours at the hospital and it was going to continue at this rate, I didn't think that I could handle it. I barely could make it out, "Yes, I want the epidural." So Caleb was asked to leave the room for about 15 minutes while they administered the epidural. The needle and injection enters through the spinal cord, and while leaning over, there was a sharp pain in my tummy/uterus. The epidural was inserted without any problems, but right before I laid back down, the fetal heart rate plummeted. Bethany's heart rate decreased rapidly and was down in the 50s. If the heart rate is in the 50s - it's basically flat-lining. My nurse immediately calls for help and many people enter the room. One nurse tries to prevent me from bleeding out, another reports that my uterus is too firm and a third nurse tries to push the baby for any change or response. No change.
I'm given oxygen and before I know it, I'm wheeled into another room and it dawns on me: Bethany must be saved and she's going to have to come out now. Lord, please protect her!
Meanwhile, Caleb only knew of the epidural and is wandering around the halls looking for a waiting area. He found the c-section waiting room and sits down, nodding his head to another fellow dad-to-be. After a few brief moments, he hears a page overhead for all nurses to go to Room 2. He thinks, "Well, we're in room 5, so all is well." Lots of people are running to Room 2, but then a nurse runs into the waiting room and says, "Mr. Chu, your wife is having an emergency c-section. Put this on, and we'll see you in room 2." In great surprise, Caleb puts on the scrubs and heads to room 2, baffled as to what had happened.
At the OR, I was still conscious and started wondering if what had happened to Bethany was because of my request for the epidural. I asked the anesthesiologist if that was the case, and he responds, telling me that it was good that I had asked for the epidural when I did. Because of it, I did not have to go under general anesthetics and be put out entirely, being intubated and all. But now I could be awake for the procedure. Caleb came in and held my hand and very quickly tells me, Bethany is now out. What a moment. :)
Caleb left after a few moments to see her and I felt every pull, push and tug as the doctor and nurses close me up. Throughout the whole thing, I didn't feel any fear or anxiety, but knew that somehow, our Lord would watch over all of us. He is my only source of strength and help for my daughter, because this entire matter is not in my control.
Soon enough, Caleb comes back holding Bethany and I saw her for the first time. I had never imagined such a beautiful child would be my own child. She was small, very pink and every feature was perfectly tiny. My hands were numb and stretched out with IVs and blood pressure monitors attached so I couldn't hold her, but my daughter had arrived! Her Apgar and all the reports up to that time was that she was very normal. I couldn't have asked for more.
When they stamped Bethany's footprints on the certificate, they asked if Caleb wanted her footprints on his scrubs. Sure, why not? We now have her feet printed on his scrubs as a momento. :)
The doctor who performed the c-section told us that it looked like what had happened was a placental abruption. Because everything had happened so fast, my own OB had not even arrived yet, and this on-call doctor was known to rarely do c-sections, unless in the case of an emergency. Part of my uterus looked "old", meaning that blood had not reached it for awhile, so that there was a lack of oxygen to that part. Bethany also went without oxygen for a period of time. The odd thing about this was that I had a very healthy pregnancy, low-risk for all things, a well-controlled gestational diabetes and no trauma to have caused the abruption. Only the Lord had planned and had watched over all these details.
I went into the recovery room after the procedure was completed, however we were not out of the woods yet. After recovery, I went to the post-partum unit and part of the usual routine, nurses would come in and check my vitals every 2-3 hours. They measured my blood pressure and temperature. Throughout Wednesday, I measured a high 101.4 and 101.6 degree temperature. I was given a continual IV drip to keep my vein open and a regimen of antibiotics. Our prayer was that whatever was causing my fever would be taken care of and if I could be fever-free for 24 hours, I would be able to go home at the set date of 12/18, Saturday. Praise the Lord for hearing our prayers an the prayers of our family and all the saints. The fever broke and while it can be nice being taken care of at an hospital, it really is so much nicer to be able to go home. Having blood drawn for more tests, vitals taken every few hours, a continual IV drip inserted into the body really was not easy. I had more important things to learn and attend to: my baby!
The Lord has been our ever-present help in times of trouble and I give all thanks and praise to Him. Each time I see Bethany and hold her, I'm amazed at how wonderful He is. In the heart of her parents, she has been consecrated to Him for His use, His service, His delight. Her Chinese name means great favor, in the eyes of both God and man. May her life be given for the favor of our Lord and Savior.
While typing this story seems a bit long, it's only the beginning. I thank the Lord for the experience, and yes, I thank Him for pain meds too! :) He's blessed me with a wonderful husband who has taken such good care of me and Bethany in these first days of her life and my mom, a newly-minted grandmother has come to serve with such a joyful heart as well. I have much to be thankful for and thank Him and thank Him some more.
Thanks to all who have also interceded for us during the last week. God bless you during this holiday season, may our attention be directed continually upon our Lord Jesus Christ.





No comments:
Post a Comment